The American Heart Association, the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, and Primaris are
partnering to raise awareness for the Million Hearts™ Initiative. Million Hearts is a national campaign formed to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes over five years. If successful, Million Hearts’ support of proven clinical and community strategies will prevent 188,000 heart attacks and strokes in Missouri.
Sign up to be a partner. You can also help in these ways:
- Treat high blood pressure and cholesterol in your patients.
- Treat appropriate patients with aspirin.
- Establish and discuss with patients their specific goals for treatment and how to control their risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
- Coach your patients to develop heart-healthy habits. Provide tools to show their progress and access to team members to help them succeed.
- Ask your patients about their smoking status and provide cessation support and medication when appropriate.
- Ask about barriers to medication adherence and help find solutions.
- Use health information technology, such as electronic health records and decision support tools, to improve the delivery of care and control of the ABCs.
Million Hearts Toolkit to Prevent Heart Attacks and Strokes